Can multiple apps listen for TCP on the same port?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Tue Dec 2 02:02:49 UTC 2014

I figured it out. This is 'nc' from the base, imported from OpenBSD 5.6.

nc has two flaws in its code: it listens with backlog=5 (not 1), and it
doesn't close the listening socket after accept, only after client is
done communicating.
Fixing these two problems makes my app work.

I first confused it with net/netcat from ports, which is totally
different codebase, and isn't duplex. Looking into their code confused
me into making original wrong assumptions.

Thanks!
Yuri