IPv6 Source Address Selection in 9.x

Mark Kamichoff prox at prolixium.com
Mon Oct 14 20:58:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 05:45:15AM +0900, Hiroki Sato wrote:
> Try ip6addrctl_policy="ipv6_prefer" in rc.conf.

Excellent.  Thank you.  I glanced right over that in
/etc/default/rc.conf.  I just added the above line to /etc/rc.conf and
ran /etc/rc.d/ip6addrctl start prefer_ipv6.  Now, it works as expected:

(dax:16:47)% telnet he.net. 80
Trying 2001:470:0:76::2...
Connected to he.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]^D
telnet> Connection closed.

It's my understanding that by leaving ip6addrctl_policy as AUTO will
only prefer IPv6 if ipv6_enable_all_interfaces is set to YES, which it
is in my /etc/rc.conf.  However, it appears that this never resulted in
ip6addrctl_prefer_ipv6 being called from /etc/rc.d/ip6addrctl.  Maybe
I'm reading this wrong ...

- Mark

--
Mark Kamichoff