vlan with modified MAC fails to communicate

Pablo Ribalta Lorenzo rlp at semihalf.com
Sat Mar 30 18:04:47 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

In my case, my NIC driver is strictly for ethernet, if not Adrian's idea
would be a phenomenal solution for my issue, but maybe it's useful for me
in the long run, so thanks for providing some insight.

As for if_vlan.c, I verified that in the case when NIC's MAC adress is
modified, it updates the values in the vlan to keep them in sync. However,
I don't see this behavior when the changes are performed over the vlan.

>From what I see, looks like this behavior from FreeBSD side is expected and
the changes should be incorporated to my NIC.

Set the NIC to promisc mode whenever both MAC addresses are not equal looks
like a good workaround, however try to work out some improvement in the
packet filtering method looks more like a fix to me. What holds me back is
the inherent loss of performance in promisc mode, but I need to see if I'm
able to live with this overhead :)