vlan with modified MAC fails to communicate

Pablo Ribalta Lorenzo rlp at semihalf.com
Fri Mar 29 11:53:23 UTC 2013

Hi there!

Lately I've been investigating an issue that I would like to share, as I feel I may have to attack it from a different end.

I have an ethernet interface from where I create a vlan. Once I set up the ip address in the vlan I can ping correctly on both
sides. The issue arrives when I try to change the MAC address of the vlan, as from then on it fails to communicate unless:

- I restore vlan's MAC address to its previous value
- I enable promisc mode.

It's also worth to mention that my current setup is FreeBSD 8.3 and the NIC driver I'm using is not fully mature.

I was wondering if this behavior is due to some limitations in the NCI driver I'm using or if in fact it's the correct way to
proceed, as it was possible to reproduce this same issue in FreeBSD 8.3 and FreeBSD CURRENT versions, even using more mature
NIC drivers as 'em' and 're'.

Could somebody please shed some light in this? Thank you.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Pablo Ribalta Lorenzo