Troubleshooting network issue in 9.1

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Tue Mar 19 20:31:07 UTC 2013

Hi.

On 19.03.2013 20:27, Thomas Johnson wrote:
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look for, when this
> happens again? Could this be related to reported CARP issues in 9.1, as
> discussed on this list recently?
So, in other words, you upgraded from pf 4.4 to pf 4.5 and problems
arised immidiately. Looks familiar. I switched to th 10.x in the same
case. And I wait for the situation to resolve, and I'm not upgrading my
others productions running 8.x and pf. But I didn't see complains about
packet losses or connection drops (I saw once, but it was related only
to the max states limit). All that I saw were panics (after applying
some particular sets of rules), LORs and freezes (still not sure whether
the freezes were about zfs or pf). So, in my case, there were some
definitely diagnoseable problems with pf. I've also seen a horrible
performance degradation when using route-to/reply-to rules, but this was
fixed somewhere between 9.0-RELEASE and 9.1-STABLE.

Eugene.