ntpd bind() failure: Can't assign requested address

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 00:44:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 2:42 PM, M. Schulte <m-freebsd at fuglos.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> [First of all, I have posted this question already on the FreeBSD
> forum -- so far without replies -- and now my hope is that the set of
> subscribers here and those of the forum do not completely coincide.]
>
> I have installed FreeBSD 9.1 on my server (it's a virtualized qemu/kvm
> environment, in case that matters) and during boot the following
> messages appear:
>
>    ntpd[766]: ntpd 4.2.4p5-a (1)
>    ntpd[767]: bind() fd 23, family AF_INET6, port 123, scope 2, addr
> fe80::216:36ff:fe74:2076, mcast=0 flags=0x11 fails: Can't assign requested
> address
>    ntpd[767]: unable to create socket on re0 (3) for
> fe80::216:36ff:fe74:2076#123
>
> This happens with a GENERIC kernel. I have not touched any IPv6
> related configuration after install, so everything should be in the
> default state. Neither have I changed the ntp/ntpd configuration.
>
> Although I could find some threads where people were discussing the
> same problem, none of the mentioned suggestions fixed this for me.
>
> In particular I tried setting
>
>    ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="**YES"
>
> in rc.conf -- didn't fix the problem.
>
> According to ifconfig, my interfaces, re0 in particular, have IPv6
> addresses associated to them. So why would it fail that a process
> tries to bind to it? Note that I'm rather unexperienced wrt IPv6.
>
> Would be great if somebody could give me a hint into the right
> direction. Anybody else experiencing this? Thank you very much!
>
> ~ melanie

 What is the address space is the address you are seeing on the interface?
Is it is a link-local address or one assigned by the router, a static from
rc.conf or DHCPv6? You should have two inet6 addresses, one is link-local
(starts with "fe") and another should start with "2". There may be more
than two.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com