FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE + bge0 == watchdog timeout

YongHyeon PYUN pyunyh at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 02:25:01 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 04:00:34PM +0600, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hi.
> Hi.
>
> On 06.03.2013 12:26, YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
> > If you were using latest stable/8, the result would be same on
> > CURRENT.
> > How frequently do you see the watchdog timeouts? Is there way to
> > reproduce it?
> > Would you show me the output of dmesg (bge(4) and brgphy(4) only)
> > and "pciconf -lcbv"?
> I upgraded one om my routers 2 days ago to 8.3-STABLE, and got today a
> freeze. Uptime was less than a day.
> I have like dozens of these IBM system x3250, all of them run various
> 8.2-STABLE's, that's why I worry that much. I don't know if this is

What was previous SVN revision number on that machine?
The support for 5718/5719/5720 was merged to stable/8 about 3
months ago.

> triggered by some of my actions. These routers run gre/ipsec, dirrerent
> routing stuff (quagga, bird), proxies and pf. In 2011/early 2012 I saw
> similar watchdog issues on these machines, and I disabled the tso on
> them. I don't know whether this is a coincidence or it really helps, but
> after that I didn't see these watchdog issues until today.

I'm not aware of TSO issue on your controller. pf(4) had TSO issue
but I guess it was fixed long time ago.

> I've also discovered that this particular server is running some old
> bioses/firmwares including the fact that it misses some NetXtreme
> updates available from IBM. Would applying such updates resolve the
> situation ?

Updating etherent controller firmware is always good idea. But I'm
not sure whether this address the issue.

> I am ok with that fact that I cannot run ipmi/sol on these machines, but
> it would be nice if this watchdog issue could be somehow resolved.

Actually this is the first report after the merge which seems to
break bge(4).

> Furthermore, I have some spare machines that I can provide full access
> to, including ipkvm stuff. Since the machine is only partially freezing,
> I cannot even rely on the ichwd and watchdogd to reboot it.

Sorry no clue yet.

> pciconf (there's two controllers in this server, I use the first, but
> anyway):

Thanks for the info.

[...]