igb network lockups

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 18:16:19 UTC 2013

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM, Sepherosa Ziehau <sepherosa at gmail.com>wrote:

> For 82574L, i.e. supported by em(4), MSI-X must _not_ be enabled; it
> is simply broken (you could check 82574 errata on Intel's website to
> confirm what I have said here).

If you actually checked the errata you will find that its not "simply
broken",
furthermore it most certainly SHOULD be enabled, it is by default in the
Linux driver as well as mine, the issue is not with the 82574, its with some
system designs that have upstream PCIE problems.

If you experience problems with a particular system, then we recommend
disabling MSIX to determine if this hardware issue may be behind it. In most
cases MSIX works just fine.

> For 82575, i.e. supported by igb(4), MSI-X must _not_ be enabled; it
> is simply broken (you could check 82575 errata on Intel's website to
> confirm what I have said here).

The same issue obtains on the 82575, its a system issue, and we have
tested the part on our Reference systems in prolonged stress without any
problem. So the same recommendation as above applies.

Jack Vogel
Intel Network Division