igb network lockups

Nick Rogers ncrogers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 16:04:10 UTC 2013

FWIW I have been experiencing a similar issue on a number of systems
using the em(4) driver under 9.1-RELEASE. This is after upgrading from
a snapshot of 8.3-STABLE. My systems use PF+ALTQ as well. The symptoms
are: interface stops passing traffic until the system is rebooted. I
have not yet been able to gain access to the systems to dig around
(after they have crashed), however my kernel/network settings are
properly tuned (high mbuf limit, hw.em.rxd/txd=4096, etc). It seems to
happen about once a day on systems with around a sustained 50Mb/s of
traffic.

I realize this is not much to go on but perhaps it helps. I am
debating trying the e1000 driver in the latest CURRENT on top of
9.1-RELEASE. I noticed the Intel shared code was updated about a week
ago. Would this change or perhaps another change to e1000 since
9.1-RELEASE possibly affect stability in a positive way?

Thanks.