Looking for a bgp listener that works with RADIX_MPATH / EQMP that's in HEAD

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Sat Jun 29 20:48:58 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Scott Long <scott4long at yahoo.com> wrote:
> We run bird for this task.  Can't say if it works on 10 since he haven't
> moved to 10 yet, but there have been some experiments with running
> a 10 kernel in the 9 userland and bird seems to behave fine with that.
>
> Scott

You run your kernels with RADIX_MPATH on 9.x?

Got an example config?  In openbgpd speak, I'm doing this:

AS 65xxx
router-id 8.8.178.xx
neighbor 8.8.178.yy {
        local-address 8.8.178.xx
        remote-as 65xxx
        announce none
}
neighbor 8.8.178.zz {
        local-address 8.8.178.xx
        remote-as 65xxx
        announce none
}
match from 8.8.178.yy set { localpref 80 }
match from 8.8.178.zz set { localpref 80 }

The upstream nodes are doing, in part:

neighbor 8.8.178.ww {
        local-address 8.8.178.yy
        remote-as 65xxx
        announce default-route
}
neighbor 8.8.178.xx {
        local-address 8.8.178.yy
        remote-as 65xxx
        announce default-route
}
match to   8.8.178.ww set { metric 20 }
match to   8.8.178.xx set { metric 20 }

They're doing other things too, but thats the part that's relevant here.

> On Jun 29, 2013, at 1:50 PM, Peter Wemm <peter at wemm.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for pointers to something that can listen to bgp default
>> route announcements from two outbound gateways and set a RADIX_MPATH
>> compatible default route based on whether one or both are alive.
>>
>> openbgpd from ports is extremely incompatible with RADIX_MPATH on 10.
>> You *have* to turn off fib (kernel routing table) updates or it will
>> destroy your machine when it runs out of physical memory for duplicate
>> routes.
>>
>> I know I can do an evil hack and poll the 'bgp show ...' output and
>> manually update the default route but that means updates are delayed
>> to the poll interval.  I'm hoping there is a more elegant solution
>> that already works and is immediately responsive to a change in bgp
>> state.
>>
>> The caveat is it *must* run on 10.x, with RADIX_MPATH enabled.  I'd
>> gladly run openbgpd if it actually worked.  openbgpd has some
>> awareness of mpath so it might be fixable but openbsd's multipath is
>> different to ours.
>>
>> Ideas?
>> --
>> Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV

Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
On IRC, talking about C++:
<BigKnife> I think that it is a good thing I will never meet Bjarne on a street
<BigKnife> cause really, I don't want to end up in prison or anything