RFC: if_bridge(4) ND6_IFF_AUTO_LINKLOCAL

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jun 27 19:42:09 UTC 2013

Hi,

 I would like your comments about the attached patch.  This allows
 IFT_BRIDGE interfaces to accept ND6_IFF_AUTO_LINKLOCAL and
 autoconfiguration of a link-local address with EUI-64 interface id.

 One thing I am concerned about is the case when the parent interface
 and the member interfaces have own link-local scope zones at the same
 time since it leads to scope violation.  More specifically, It does
 not occur only in the following cases:

 1. bridge0 has an IPv6 address and the members do not.

 2. bridge0 does not have an IPv6 address and only one of the members
    does.

 I think we can allow only them and forbid the other cases like both
 bridge0 and the members have IPv6 addresses at the same time.  The
 attached patch implements this restriction by removing overlapped
 link-local scope zones.  I believe the restriction does not matter in
 practical configurations, but please correct me if I am missing
 something.

-- Hiroki