How to find out a VPN link has gone down (or better, come back up)?

Bernard Higonnet bthcom at higonnet.net
Sun Jun 16 10:22:49 UTC 2013

I have a machine, FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #0, running a VPN (MPD5) server.

Every once in a while, the link goes down, presumably because of some
third-party event on the network.

When this happens, an element placed in the routing table by hand
disappears since the node on the VPN server to the far-off client
machine no longer exists (even though the entry in the routing table is
marked "permanent" when it does exist). When the network problem goes
away, the VPN link is automatically restored, but not the routing table.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to be notified that the link has
been restored so that I can run a script etc. to restore the routing
table to what I want?

TIA
Bernard Higonnet