Recommendations for 10gbps NIC

Alexander V. Chernikov melifaro at FreeBSD.org
Sat Jul 27 08:42:26 UTC 2013

On 27.07.2013 12:15, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Alexander V. Chernikov
> <melifaro at freebsd.org>  wrote:
>> On 27.07.2013 02:14, Barney Cordoba wrote:

>>> *From:* Daniel Feenberg<feenberg at nber.org>

>>> differences. Obviously they're all different. Maybe substantially
>>> different.
>>
>> It depends on what kind of performance you are talking about.
>> All NICs are capable of doing linerate RX/TX for both small/big packets.
>
> this is actually not true. I have direct experience with Intel,
> Mellanox and Broadcom,
> and small packets are a problem across the board even with 1 port.

>  From my experience only intel can do line rate (14.88Mpps) with 64-byte frames,
> but suffers a bit with sizes that are not multiple of 64.
> Mellanox peaks at around 7Mpps.
> Broadcom is limited to some 2.5Mpps.
Wow. So I'm wrong.
However, Chelsio T4 can do at least ~8/port. I'll check for full
linerate and report.
> This is all with netmap, using the regular stack you are going to see
> much much less.

> Large frames (1400+) are probably not a problem for anyone, but since the
> original post asked for packet capture, i thought the small-frame case
> is a relevant one.
>
>> The only notable exception I;m aware of are Intel 82598-based NICs which
>> advertise PCI-E X8 gen2 with _2.5GT_ link speed, giving you maximum
>> ~14Gbit/s bw for 2 ports instead of 20.
>
> This makes me curious because i believe people have used netmap with
> the 82598 and achieved close to line rate even with 64-byte frames/one port,
> and i thought (maybe I am wrong ?) the various 2-port NICs use 4 lanes per port.
> So the number i remember does not match with your quote of 2.5Gt/s.
> Are all 82598 using 2.5GT/s (which is a gen.1 speed) instead of 5 ?
Quoting 82598EB datasheet:
The PCIe v2.0 (2.5 GT/s) interface is used by the 82598EB as a host
interface. It supports x8, x4, x2 and x1 configurations at a speed of
2.5 GHz. The maximum aggregated raw ban..

Actually I discovered this exactly with netmap and 82598*-DA2 NIC :)