LACP LAGG device problems

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 14:40:40 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:49 AM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hah!
>
> I'm pushing 20GE out using lagg right now (and fixing the er, amusing
> behaviour of doing so.) I'm aiming to hit 40 once I get hardware that
> doesn't get upset pushing that many bits. The netops people at ${JOB}
> also point out that even today switches occasionally get confused and
> "crash" a switchport. Ew.
>
> So yes, there are people using lagg, both for failover and throughput
> reasons.
>
> I'm working on debugging/statistics right now as part of general "why
> are things behaving crappy" debugging. I'll see about improving some
> of the peer reporting at the same time.
>

> -adrian
>
> On 21 July 2013 06:03, Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > On Sat, 7/20/13, isp <mline at ukr.net> wrote:
> >
> >  Subject: LACP LAGG device problems
> >  To: freebsd-net at freebsd.org
> >  Date: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 10:04 AM
> >

> >  Hi! Can anybody tell me, is there any plans to improve
> >  LAGG(802.3ad)
> >  device driver in FreeBSD?
> >  It will be greate to have a possibility to set LACP mode
> >  (active/passive)
> >  and system priority.
> >  Also there is no way to set hashing algorithm and master
> >  interface
> >  (port).
> >  And we can't see any information about our neighbor.
> >  The same function in Linux is named Bonding and it is much
> >  more better.
> >  I realy can donate some money to those who can make this
> >  improvements.
> >  Best regards.
> >
> >  >

> > Why are you using LAGG when 10g cards are like $350? It's not
> > a peering protocol nor it is PTP; can you see your "peer" info on
> > an ethernet?
> >
> > Bonding is a late 90s concept designed to connect 2 slow links to
> > get higher speeds, back in the day when 100Mb/s was ambitious.
> > The point of LAGG is that it's transparent; you can load balance
> > traffic to multiple hosts or create a redundant link without having
> > to have equipment running some special applications, or any special
> > logic above the LAGG device.
> >
> > Describing how you are using LAGG (and why) might be better
> > than just asking for "improvements".
> >
> > BC

I am aware of at least one case where 100G WAN links are being LAGGed
today. Only two ATM, but 4x100G is on the horizon. I suspect 4x100G or even
more is already in place in the data center, but I have no actual
knowledge. and 100G i still quite a bit more than $320 per port. And that
is ignoring the cost of 100G routing, switching, and optical gear.

LAGG is not going away any time soon. I'm sure we will see Nx400G as soon
as 400G Ethernet is available.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com