SO_REUSEPORT: strange kernel balancer behaviour

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Mon Jul 15 20:31:36 UTC 2013

On 15 July 2013 13:04, trafdev <trafdev at mail.ru> wrote:
> Yep I think it's wasting of resources, poll manager should somehow be
> configured to update only one process/thread.
> Anyone know how to do that?
> Thanks.

Well, the problem here is deciding which thread to throw the request at.

If the threads are equally busy, you're ok.

If the threads aren't equally busy, then just doing a round robin or
hash may end up keeping one thread more busy than others, skewing the
workload.

I'm also interested in the whole CPU pinning of sockets to line it all
up with multi-queue network cards and such. Hence why I'm starting
down this path.

-adrian