Duplicate Address Detection misfire?

Kevin Day kevin at your.org
Mon Jul 1 02:39:09 UTC 2013

On Jun 30, 2013, at 6:48 PM, Zaphod Beeblebrox <zbeeble at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE vmware guest running. It is using the
> "bridged" type of networking with VMWare.  It gets it's IPv4 address from
> DHCP (successfully) and then fails to initialize IPv6.  The relevant
> rc.conf is:
>
> ipv6_activate_all_interfaces="YES"
> ifconfig_em0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
> ip6addrctl_verbose="YES"
>
> The console output says:
>
> em0: DAD detected duplicate IPv6 address fe80:2::20c:29ff:fe0a:3989: NS
> in/out=2/1, NA in=0
> em0: DAD complete for fe80:2::20c:29ff:fe0a:3989 - duplicate found
> em0: manual intervention required
> em0: possible hardware address duplication deteted, disable IPv6
>
> And subsequently, em0's nd6 has "IFDISABLED" in it.
>
> With wireshark, I see two ICMPv6 neighbor solicitations that are identical
> --- is this the problem?
>
> How do I fix this?

Did you copy this VM and have both copies running at once? If so, it assigned the same MAC address to each VM.

VMware is suppose to detect this and ask if you "copied" or "moved" the VM, and if you say "copied" it will randomly assign a new MAC to the VM. If this didn't happen or if you said "moved" when you actually copied it, just go in and delete/re-create the network interface in the VM's settings to create a new MAC for it.

If that's not the issue, we'd probably need more details about your configuration.