ixgbe & msi/x

Vijay Singh vijju.singh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 17:15:53 UTC 2013

> just curious, is this happening under behyve or also native,
> and is it always occurring or it is occasional ?

Native, and it happens when the pps rate is high, even if the
aggregate bandwidth is low.

> I am asking because with netmap when i tried to exploit interrupt
> mitigation (strictly processing incoming traffic only on rx
> interrupts) i noticed packet drops even at relatively low rates,
> which made me suspect that interrupts were either lost or heavily
> delayed.

I am running whatever is in the driver (version 2.4.5) by default.
Since msi/x isnt enabled by default, I have enabled that.

The same test, sustains a *much* higher pps load with legacy
interrupts, so I think that the msi/x interrupt setup is missing
something.

-vijay