how to completely makes an interface down?

Dave Duchscher daved at tamu.edu
Sat Jan 26 14:53:15 UTC 2013

On Jan 26, 2013, at 7:05 AM, h bagade wrote:

> I've found a patch which is going to do what I really want:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2010-December/027196.html
>
> but when I apply it on my freebsd 8.2 with em cards, nothing happens! not
> even sysctl "dev.em.X.down_disables_link", which is supposed to be added
> after applying patch, exists! what wrong with what I've done?

Not sure. I would make sure that your new kernel is the kernel that is
being used. We use a different kernel configuration file so that a
simple uname command tells us that the right kernel is installed.

We use that patch here with 8.3 and it works as advertised. I do wish
there was a way to drop the link of the port without kernel mods.
Understandably with the out of band management protocols, the internal
interfaces really like to keep link alive so you can connect to the
system's management console, do wake on lan, etc.

--
DaveD