How to use netmap pkt-gen on 9.1?

Olivier Cochard-Labbé olivier at cochard.me
Mon Jan 14 09:11:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Olivier Cochard-Labbé
<olivier at cochard.me> wrote:

> Now I reach to use it on -current and, following your advice, on 9.1 too.
> The patch (for 9.1-release) that I've used his here:
> http://gugus69.free.fr/freebsd/freebsd.netmap.patch

Hi,

I've just discovered that on i386 (no problem on amd64) I meet a fatal
trap once I start pkt-gen:

cpuid = 0; apic id = 00
fault virtual address   = 0x62e
fault code              = supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x20:0xc0bd80da
stack pointer           = 0x28:0xcd95688c
frame pointer           = 0x28:0xcd9568c8
code segment            = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 1645 (pkt-gen)
trap number             = 12
panic: page fault
cpuid = 0
KDB: stack backtrace:
#0 0xc096aba0 at kdb_backtrace+0x50
#1 0xc0935f32 at panic+0x152
#2 0xc0bc1852 at trap_fatal+0x262
#3 0xc0bc1b3b at trap_pfault+0x1ab
#4 0xc0bc29dd at trap+0x3bd
#5 0xc0bab57c at calltrap+0x6
#6 0xc0682a31 at lem_init_locked+0x701
#7 0xc0685594 at lem_netmap_reg+0xe4
#8 0xc0797ede at netmap_ioctl+0xafe
#9 0xc08b6d85 at devfs_ioctl_f+0x75
#10 0xc097ca35 at kern_ioctl+0xc5
#11 0xc097ccc5 at sys_ioctl+0xc5
#12 0xc0bc2300 at syscall+0x520
#13 0xc0bab5e1 at Xint0x80_syscall+0x21

I'm agree that compiling an i386 kernel with netmap is a strange idea :-)

Regards,

Olivier