To SMP or not to SMP

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Thu Jan 10 00:42:49 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 16:25:41 -0800
Michael Sierchio <kudzu at tenebras.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Erich Dollansky
> <erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com> wrote:
>
> > SMP goes into the applications. A single-CPU kernel must still run
> > these kind of applications.
>
> Applications may be multithreaded - and on a host with more than one
> (real or virtual) CPU, those threads may run concurrently.  De quoi
> s'agit-il? What's your point?

they call those OS functions to handle mutexes etc. Some of these things
can be simpler when only a single CPU is present. I do not know if
there is a difference in FreeBSD.

With other words, it is a bit more complex than just an if instruction
in the kernel to decide what should be done. This is the reason why the
decision is made at compile time and not at run time.

Erich