FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE + bge0 == watchdog timeout

Marc Fournier freebsd at hub.org
Sat Feb 23 03:54:20 UTC 2013

We just picked up 5 new HP DL 360p Gen8 E5-2630 2P servers … just installed 9.1-RELEASE, and it looks like all of the hardware is detected properly, and being configured …

After reboot, I start getting the 'watchdog timeout - resetting' message on bge0 … I've searched the web, and found the references to setting:

hw.bge.allow_asf="0"
hw.pci.enable_msi="0"

but after reboot with those set in /boot/loader.conf (and confirmed via sysctl -a after login), its still doing it …

Looking at sysctl -a, even though:

hw.pci.enable_msi="0"

is set, I do see:

dev.bge.0.msi=1
dev.bge.1.msi=1
dev.bge.2.msi=1
dev.bge.3.msi=1

still all set to 1 … is that right?

Don't know if this is useful, but, again, according to sysctl -a:

dev.bge.0.%desc: Broadcom unknown BCM5719, ASIC rev. 0x5719001

===

If I do an 'ifconfig bge0', it does show the interface as being active, but I can't ping out on it …

I even found someone's reference to doing a 'ifconfig bge0 -tso -vlanhwtso' and tried that … no go …

Something else I can look at?

Thx