Intel Controllers [Rant]

Kubilay Kocak koobs.freebsd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 09:00:40 UTC 2013

On 10/12/2013 11:20 AM, Barney Cordoba wrote:
> Why is it that every time I get a new MB it has yet-another intel controller on it? How are you supposed to write good drivers that support 9000 different controllers? As much as I appreciate the progression of CPU technology, they
> would serve the community better by making up their damn minds and just build 1 or 2 controller for each
> target market.
>
> BC

My view is that the driver of this is non-technical in nature.

Business and retail technology consumers are cutthroat, with high
expectations and demand for product development, innovation and value.

Perception is reality, and new things shout "look! we're doing things".

The more pertinent question is: how can we as a project scale to meet
the current and future pace of change?

A razor sharp focus, clear and public objectives and a shared view of
what defines success is not a bad place to start. Proactive and
effective resourcing of *prioritised* goals is the aim.

Without them, success is a game of chance and accidental at best.

Sorry if I was either too literal or too abstract in my response, and
thanks for sharing :)

Koobs