Network stack changes

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 29 11:49:34 UTC 2013

Hi,

There's a lot of good stuff to review here, thanks!

Yes, the ixgbe RX lock needs to die in a fire. It's kinda pointless to keep
locking things like that on a per-packet basis. We should be able to do
this in a cleaner way - we can defer RX into a CPU pinned taskqueue and
convert the interrupt handler to a fast handler that just schedules that
taskqueue. We can ignore the ithread entirely here.

What do you think?

Totally pie in the sky handwaving at this point:

* create an array of mbuf pointers for completed mbufs;
* populate the mbuf array;
* pass the array up to ether_demux().

For vlan handling, it may end up populating its own list of mbufs to push
up to ether_demux(). So maybe we should extend the API to have a bitmap of
packets to actually handle from the array, so we can pass up a larger array
of mbufs, note which ones are for the destination and then the upcall can
mark which frames its consumed.

I specifically wonder how much work/benefit we may see by doing:

* batching packets into lists so various steps can batch process things
rather than run to completion;
* batching the processing of a list of frames under a single lock instance
- eg, if the forwarding code could do the forwarding lookup for 'n' packets
under a single lock, then pass that list of frames up to inet_pfil_hook()
to do the work under one lock, etc, etc.

Here, the processing would look less like "grab lock and process to
completion" and more like "mark and sweep" - ie, we have a list of frames
that we mark as needing processing and mark as having been processed at
each layer, so we know where to next dispatch them.

I still have some tool coding to do with PMC before I even think about
tinkering with this as I'd like to measure stuff like per-packet latency as
well as top-level processing overhead (ie, CPU_CLK_UNHALTED.THREAD_P /
lagg0 TX bytes/pkts, RX bytes/pkts, NIC interrupts on that core, etc.)

Thanks,

-adrian