Options to monitor/sniff network traffic under a vm

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Tue Aug 27 22:27:51 UTC 2013

On Aug 25, 2013, at 5:38 AM, carlopmart <carlopmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to monitor/sniff network traffic for three subnets (1 GiB nets) and I need to do this using a virtual guest under an ESXi 5 host (yes, it is a "handicap").

Not sure about your questions below, but doesn't ESXi 5 support port mirroring in the virtual switch? That seems like a better place to do most of the heavy lifting. You could still attach your FreeBSD instance to the monitor port(s) for analysis. That would hopefully help at least with a) by reducing the number of virtual NICs needed.