Making IB a first class citizen.

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 23 16:50:30 UTC 2013

Hello -net.

This email is about making Infiniband a first class citizen of the
FreeBSD kernel.

Right now we have one #ifdef OFED in the src tree that makes compiling
modules a real challenge:

In sys/net/if_llatbl.h the "struct llentry" size changes based on if
OFED is compiled in or not, only by 16 bytes because Infiniband uses
20bytes for MAC.  I am wondering if it would be OK to just unifdef this
part to make inifiband a first class citizen of the kernel. Otherwise
maybe we can reverse the ifdef so that it's WITHOUT_OFED and by default
have it on.

I understand that we can not do this for FreeBSD 9.x due to breaking
network ABI, however I think we still have time to do so in FreeBSD 10.x.

If there's no objection I'd like to push this change into head in the
next day or two.  The only difference is +16 bytes to the "struct llentry".

Comments?