it's the output, not ack coalescing (Re: TSO and FreeBSD vs Linux)

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sun Aug 18 19:18:37 UTC 2013

On 18 August 2013 11:39, Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Great. Never has the been a better explanation for the word Kludge than
> netmap.

Nah. Netmap is a reimplementation of some reasonably well known ways of
pushing bits. Luigi just pushed it up to eleven and demonstrated what
current hardware is capable of. I have never bought the "We need eleventy
cores just to push 10ge of real traffic!" before.

Luigi did note down where the per-packet inefficiencies were. What we have
to do now is sit down and for each of those, figure out what the root
causes are and how to mitigate it. There's some architectural things that
need tidying up (read: CPU pinning, queue handling, some locking hilarity)
but if they're solved, we'll end up having dual core boxes push line rate
packets for routing.

So the gauntlet has been thrown. Let's fix this shit up.

-adrian