it's the output, not ack coalescing (Re: TSO and FreeBSD vs Linux)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Fri Aug 16 17:06:24 UTC 2013

the usenix paper and talk
https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixfederatedconferencesweek/netmap-novel-framework-fast-packet-io
should give a short description of what i did.

Basically i manually insert returns (and free mbufs and resources)
in some place in the path and then compute the time consumed by
the code as the inverse of the average pps over 0.1 .. 1s intervals.
By moving the point where i place the return, i can estimate the
cost of the various sections of code involved.

cheers
luigi