Create CARP interface in state INIT?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 14:01:35 UTC 2013

--On 13 August 2013 15:34 +0200 Daniel Hartmeier <daniel at benzedrine.cx>
wrote:

> So, don't configure the carp interface in rc.conf, but do it in
> /etc/rc.local, and be careful to add the address while the vhid is not
> yet configured, as in:
>
>   ifconfig carp0 create
>   ifconfig carp0 inet 192.168.107.21
>   ifconfig carp0 down
>   ifconfig carp0 vhid 21 pass secret advskew 100

Hmmm, I tried that - and it leaves the interface in a 'weird' state (at
least not the state I was expecting):

carp0: flags=9<UP,LOOPBACK> metric 0 mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.107.21 netmask 0xffffff00
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>

Subsequently doing a 'ifconfig carp0' doesn't bring it up either :(

-Karl