Create CARP interface in state INIT?

Karl Pielorz kpielorz_lst at tdx.co.uk
Thu Aug 8 12:12:03 UTC 2013

Hi,

I've got a 9.1 box that has CARP setup on it. As it's a mysql server I need
to be very careful over CARP interfaces.

Is there any way from rc.conf of creating a carp interface in the 'down'
state - i.e. INIT?

That way if the box reboots we can be confident that whilst the interface
will be 'setup' it will not come up at all, *even if* the other MASTER has
gone away.

I noticed in the 9.1 release notes there's the ability to force a state of
BACKUP or MASTER - but I can't seem to force a state of INIT, or down?

Thanks,

-Karl