how calculate the number of ip addresses in a range?

Patrick Lamaiziere patfbsd at davenulle.org
Thu Aug 8 11:31:04 UTC 2013

Le Thu, 8 Aug 2013 11:34:22 +0430,
s m <sam.gh1986 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> hello guys,
>
> i have a question about ip addresses. i know my question is not
> related to freebsd but i googled a lot and found nothing useful and
> don't know where i should ask my question.
>
> i want to know how can i calculate the number of ip addresses in a
> range? for example if i have 192.0.0.1 192.100.255.254 with mask 8,
> how many ip addresses are available in this range? is there any
> formula to calculate the number of ip addresses for any range?

> i have 192.0.0.1 192.100.255.254 with mask 8

This doesn't mean anything ?

There are few tools to deal with ip addresses, you can study the code :
python: IPy https://github.com/haypo/python-ipy
perl : ipcalc: /usr/ports/net-mgmt/ipcalc

Basically, an ip address is just a number. IPy associates also a
prefix length in an "IP" object. So it can represent a host or
a network which is nice.

Regards.