[net] protecting interfaces from races between control and data ?

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Mon Aug 5 17:36:25 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I'm travelling back to San Jose today; poke me tomorrow and I'll brain
> dump what I did in ath(4) and the lessons learnt.
>
> The TL;DR version - you don't want to grab an extra lock in the
> read/write paths as that slows things down. Reuse the same per-queue
> TX/RX lock and have:
>
> * a reset flag that is set when something is resetting; that says to
> the queue "don't bother processing anything, just dive out";
> * 'i am doing Tx / Rx' flags per queue that is set at the start of
> TX/RX servicing and finishes at the end; that way the reset code knows
> if there's something pending;
> * have the reset path grab each lock, set the 'reset' flag on each,
> then walk each queue again and make sure they're all marked as 'not
> doing TX/RX'. At that point the reset can occur, then the flag cna be
> cleared, then TX/RX can resume.

so this is slightly different from what Bryan suggested (and you endorsed)
before, as in that case there was a single 'reset' flag IFF_DRV_RUNNING
protected by the 'core' lock, then a nested round on all tx and rx locks
to make sure that all customers have seen it.
In both cases the tx and rx paths only need the per-queue lock.

As i see it, having a per-queue reset flag removes the need for nesting
core + queue locks, but since this is only in the control path perhaps
it is not a big deal (and is better to have a single place to look at to
tell whether or not we should bail out).

cheers
luigi