Recommendations for 10gbps NIC

Boris Kochergin spawk at acm.poly.edu
Fri Aug 2 21:36:26 UTC 2013

Thanks for everyone's input.

I ended up buying a Chelsio 420-CR. It works well, and with all four
existing 10GBASE-SR SFP+ modules I had lying around. I won't need the
the performance offered by netmap in the foreseeable future (at which
support for it may exist), so that was not critical. I had tried Intel
first, which resulted in this saga:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2013-June/035709.html. I
have not yet tested the SFP+ modules in the Intel card with -CURRENT,
because I'm not ready to upgrade the machine in question to -CURRENT.
Aside from allowing a wider variety of SFP+ modules in 9.x, the Chelsio
card also has the benefit of supporting hot-plugging of SFP+ modules.

-Boris