gre tunnel woes

Eugene M. Zheganin emz at norma.perm.ru
Wed Apr 3 16:45:15 UTC 2013

Hi.

On 03.04.2013 22:17, Milan Obuch wrote:
> Well, I am struggling with this too, and now I just use /etc/rc.local
> containing
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> ifconfig gre0 up
> ifconfig gre1 up
>
> to bring tunnels to real life. Maybe not that nice, but simple and
> working.

It's an ancient bug; it's reported in GNATS (
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/164475 - it was known
long before the report, once I just decided to actually put it in GNATS;
unfortunately, it wasn't fixed). Actually, as I can remember, this was
never working since gre(4) was introduced in 4.x (for various reasons).
It's somehow related with default route for the tunnel remote end, but
anyway this still isn't fixed. And yeah, everyone who's using gre is
using some sort of custom rc script to fix the RUNNING flag after a boot.

Eugene.