FreeBSD boxes as a 'router'...

khatfield at socllc.net khatfield at socllc.net
Wed Nov 21 01:15:34 UTC 2012

Barney - I would certainly love to see some real evidence to backup such a ridiculous claim.

I agree here as well with Jim. I have a ton of experience with and without. I haven't done enough testing with FreeBSD 9 to state 100% but I can state that extensive testing and filtering traffic (specifically high PPS DDoS traffic) and polling is a requirement in certain situations.

It should not be required for normal traffic, certainly under 200Mbps but in no way should polling be discounted completely. Tuning Intel NICs works to an extent but offloading everything to the NIC without polling is a sure fire way to live-lock a system in high PPS situations.

So anyway, I stick to my original assessment that it can be iffy depending on volume and scenario but I will also state that throwing polling out completely discounts one of the strengths easily available on FreeBSD. That would be short-sighted, in my opinion.

My recommendation is to use polling if you begin seeing lag or live-lock. In general use it isn't required but I assure you it can be extremely helpful or detrimental. It all depends on the application of the system and the type of workload it has.

-Kevin