10 Gbps NIC selection

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue May 29 21:48:17 UTC 2012

Sean Bruno <seanbru at yahoo-inc.com> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
> > Given the choice between the following adapters:
> >   Broadcom 5720
> Haven't gotten this one working on the Dell R series I'm testing
> (thought this was a 1G chipset)
> >   Broadcom 5719
> Thought this was a 1G?
> >   Broadcom 57800
> >   Broadcom 57810
> If these are 10G E cards, the would need to be added to bxe(4) which it
> doesn't appear they are?  I know I haven't used them.

It is quite possible that our supplier either misunderstood the question
or misformatted his answer.

I can't find a bxe(4) man page in yesterday's head, so I'll pretend it
doesn't exist.

> >   Intel i350
> >   Intel x520
> >   Intel X540
> The X540T appears to be supported via ixgbe(4) [...]

I believe they're all supported by either ixgb(4) or ixgbe(4).  However,
given that

 a) the i350 is a quad-port card, which disqualifies it for our purposes

 b) our supplier's x540s are RJ45 only

 c) someone told me off-list that they used x520s and were happy with
    them

I decided to get two dual-SFP x520s.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no