9-stable - ifmedia_set: no match for 0x0/0xfffffff

Marius Strobl marius at alchemy.franken.de
Sat Jan 28 13:18:31 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 09:34:04PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> >> ok, i
> >>   o used device.hints to disable both bge interfaces
> >>   o booted successfully
> >>   o used serial console
> >>   o ifconfiged bge0 to the normal addresses
> >>   o and it is working
> >>
> >> i suspect that something sucks in bge initialization at startup.
> >> insightful, i know.  sorry.
> >
> > Has that worked before with FreeBSD and if yes with which reversion?
>
> yes, the bge and config worked for a long time on 7.foo and 8.foo, most
> recently 8.2.

Hrm, the problem apparently is that while when probing, the PHY
still knows about the media it supports, it just has forgotten
about it after the reset during attach. There was a change prior
to 8.2 which would turn this from silently being ignored (which
generally might or might not work) into resulting what you see
now (the upper layers arguably shouldn't trigger a panic in this
case though). I can't remember a change to either bge(4) or
brgphy(4) between 8.2 and now which could trigger this though.
Have you tried to set the loader-tunable hw.bge.allow_asf to 0?
The default for that option still is different between 8 and 9+.

Marius