removing support for SIOCSIF{ADDR,NETMASK,BRDADDR,DSTADDR}

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jan 12 14:36:19 UTC 2012

  Hello, networkers!

  I'd like to remove from kernel support for several really outdated
ioctls:

  SIOCSIFADDR
  SIOCSIFNETMASK
  SIOCSIFBRDADDR
  SIOCSIFDSTADDR

Actually their support was always only declared, you can trigger panics
easily if you play with them.

These ioctls were outdated even in FreeBSD 1.0, since ifconfig(8) always
used SIOCAIFADDR. There is no reason to have them in modern system.

The ports team had performed an -exp run to determine number of ports
that still use them:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=163524&cat=

We appeared to have three ports, that a kernel interface drivers, and
they utilize SIOCSIFADDR. However, they utilize it in the in-kernel
API, and this usage is not related to the ioctl() call from userland.

We don't have any ports in the tree, that use the above commands as
ioctl() argument.

So, any objections on removal?

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.