Ipv6 gw address scope limited by redirect?

prabhakar lakhera prabhakar.lakhera at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 02:08:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

The RFC 4861 (ND) states the following for the icmpv6 redirect:

Source Address
                     MUST be the link-local address assigned to the
interface from which this message is sent.

 This combined with the following in icmp6_redirect_input ensures that
if a static default route was installed with non-LLA scoped gw the
redirect sent by the router will go waste.

if (bcmp(&src6, gw6, sizeof(struct in6_addr)) != 0) {
 2354                         nd6log((LOG_ERR,
 2355                             "ICMP6 redirect rejected; "
 2356                             "not equal to gw-for-src=%s (must be same): "
 2357                             "%s\n",
 2358                             ip6_sprintf(ip6buf, gw6),
 2359                             icmp6_redirect_diag(&src6, &reddst6,
&redtgt6)));
 2360                         RTFREE_LOCKED(rt);
 2361                         goto bad;
 2362                 }

Does it mean that if we want to be concerned with redirects we should
ensure only LLA is given as the gw in the indirect routes?

Best,

Prabhakar