openbgpds not talking each other since 8.2-STABLE upgrade

Nikolay Denev ndenev at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 06:37:51 UTC 2012

On Jan 4, 2012, at 3:42 PM, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>> You are setting the keys with setkey for both directions of a single session, right?
>> i.e.:
>>
>>  add X.X.X.X Y.Y.Y.Y tcp 0x1000 -A tcp-md5 "SomePass";
>>  add Y.Y.Y.Y X.X.X.X tcp 0x1000 -A tcp-md5 "SomePass";
>>
>> As before it was only needed to set the "outgoing" direction key, which should not work anymore unless
>> net.inet.tcp.signature_verify_input is zero.
>
> Are you sure? I have net.inet.tcp.signature_verify_input = 1 and only
> one line in /etc/ipsec.conf for each BGP session using MD5 keys, on
> 8.2-STABLE.
>
> Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

Hmm, you are right, it seems that my second SAD entries are not used at all.
However I'm now running with net.inet.tcp.signature_verify_input = 0, because if I set it to 1
the BGP sessions to my other FreeBSD routers disconnect. (and that is running Quagga).
Am I the only one who sees this running Quagga? One difference probably is that I have both TCP-MD5 protected
sessions and ones that are not. And the not protected sessions fail if I start checking ingress tcp signatures.