lagg failover issue

kaltheat at googlemail.com kaltheat at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 31 10:45:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 11:51:47PM +0200, kaltheat at googlemail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using following devices:
>
> bge0 - NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe
> ndis0 - BCM43225 802.11b/g/n
>
> As far as I've tested it, each of them work fine for itself.
>
> I want to aggregate them using lagg in failover mode as explained here[1][2].
> But when I remove the wire (wireless connection is established), I can't put
> any traffic through lagg0.
>
> What might be the problem? Can you give me some hints on how to debug this
> lagg-issue further?
>
> Regards,
> kaltheat
>
> [1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-aggregation.html
>     Example 32-3. Failover Mode Between Wired and Wireless Interfaces
> [2] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=lagg#EXAMPLES
>     Second example

Hi,

I can provide some additional informations:

I read somewhere that it might be a problem to change the ethernet address of a
ndis-interface. On the accesspoint I saw that although I changed the ethernet
address of the wireless nic to that one of the wired nic (checked with ifconfig)
connection was tried to be established with the native mac of the wireless nic.
Now I'm using the native mac of the wireless nic on the wired nic to avoid this
problem.
This didn't solve the lagg issue.

While I was pinging a client reachable through wired and wireless lan I observed
traffic on the three interfaces (bge0, wlan0, lagg0). With cable connected I saw
ping traffic (in & out) on lagg0 and bge0. When removing cable after a small
break I only saw outgoing packages on lagg0. IP and ethernet addresses of outgoing
packages were the same in each case.

Regards,
kaltheat