Bad routing performance on 500Mhz Geode LX with CURRENT, ipfw and mpd5 (was: ipfw, "ip|all" proto and PPPoE -- does PPPoE packets passed to ipfw?)

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 20:32:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:11 AM, Lev Serebryakov <lev at freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello, Ian.
> You wrote 30 августа 2012 г., 10:23:56:
>
>  >>   Yep, I'll collapse my two-rule chains in one rule.
> IS> I guess if the issue persists, we may need to see more of your ruleset.
>   Not a problem at all, here it is:
>   http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/_sklad/firewall.ipfw
>
> IS> Hmm, you shouldn't see ANY pppoe traffic on ng0, only on the interface
> IS> mpd5 uses to connect with your DSL modem/bridge.  Nor would you expect
>   Yep. I didn't see it. My question is, really: why vr1 (my physical
> interface, used to connect to my ISP) takes 50%+ of CPU when traffic
> is only 40mbit/s down and about 20mbit/s up (with many connections)?

Have you taken this into account from  vr(4)?

BUGS
     The vr driver always copies transmit mbuf chains into longword-aligned
     buffers prior to transmission in order to pacify the Rhine chips.  If
     buffers are not aligned correctly, the chip will round the supplied
     buffer address and begin DMAing from the wrong location.  This buffer
     copying impairs transmit performance on slower systems but cannot be
     avoided.  On faster machines (e.g. a Pentium II), the performance
impact
     is much less noticeable.
--
Adam Vande More