Bad routing performance on 500Mhz Geode LX with CURRENT, ipfw and mpd5 (was: ipfw, "ip|all" proto and PPPoE -- does PPPoE packets passed to ipfw?)

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 30 09:12:09 UTC 2012

Hello, Ian.
You wrote 30 августа 2012 г., 10:23:56:

 >>   Yep, I'll collapse my two-rule chains in one rule.
IS> I guess if the issue persists, we may need to see more of your ruleset.
  Not a problem at all, here it is:
  http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/_sklad/firewall.ipfw

IS> Hmm, you shouldn't see ANY pppoe traffic on ng0, only on the interface
IS> mpd5 uses to connect with your DSL modem/bridge.  Nor would you expect
  Yep. I didn't see it. My question is, really: why vr1 (my physical
interface, used to connect to my ISP) takes 50%+ of CPU when traffic
is only 40mbit/s down and about 20mbit/s up (with many connections)? I
was afraid, that all PPPoE traffic is inspected by ipfw and it causes
additional CPU load.

  Yes, it is only 500Mhz Geode LX, but it is only 40 mbit/s and
4.5Kpps in both directions, nothing like full 100Mbit or more, and
I've learned "empirical" rule/heuristics about 1Gbit(!) per 1Ghz(!)
for softrouters, So, theoretically, 40mbit should not be a problem at
all for this hardware.

  And now I have not-working WiFi (this box is also AP) when wired
traffic is high (wifi speed drops down to 100KB/s from 2.5-3MB/s
without wired traffic), userland freezes under load (very bad with
ULE, better with 4BSD), and inability to pass through 40Mbit in both
directions simultaneously.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>