Seems DHCP request is ignoring default route info FreeBSD 9.0

Bernard Higonnet bthigonnet at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 15:30:36 UTC 2012

Hello,

I have two machines running 9.0 and which use DHCP. The DHCP server is
on a third machine using dnsmasq, also under 9.0, and provides an
explicit default router address.

dnsmasq is sending the right stuff, as evidenced by the dnsmasq log on
the one hand, and by the fact that a Windows7 machine and a Windows XP
machine are using the same DHCP server and those machines get the proper
default gateway info on the other hand.

Here is output from dnsmasq.log

Aug 27 16:32:19 dnsmasq-dhcp[922]: 4078691060 sent size:  4 option:  3
router  192.168.4.1

What happens on the two FreeBSD machines is that I end up with no
default gateway at all!

When the same DHCP server used to provide its default gateway (i.e. the
machine dnsmasq is running on) everything was OK.

TIA
Bernard Higonnet