ipfw meets netmap (6.5 Mpps in userspace)

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at iet.unipi.it
Tue Aug 14 20:35:44 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 01:22:54PM -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi!
>
> This stuff is very cool.
>
> So why is it that we can do such ridiculous packet processing rates
> via netmap and ipfw in userland but not in the traditional driver path
> in-kernel?
>
> (I think I know the answer, I'm just tossing it out there for discussion.)

I'd point you to the slides of my usenix talk

	http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/netmap/talk-atc12.html

or even the video of the talk itself

	https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenixfederatedconferencesweek/netmap-novel-framework-fast-packet-io

(on passing, i think the Usenix policy of making material publicly
available is really commendable.)

	cheers
	luigi