igb(4) at peak in big purple

Sean Bruno seanbru at yahoo-inc.com
Thu Apr 26 18:07:41 UTC 2012

8 core box with 2 igb(4) interfaces serving internet traffic in/out over
here in Yahoo land.

This is configuring igb(4) allow 32k TXD/RXD descriptors(but only
configuring for 8k), 4 queues per interface and changing the logic of
the call to bus_bind_intr() such that it will iterate over all cpus in
the system: http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/if_igb.c.txt

http://people.freebsd.org/~sbruno/igb_stats.txt

We're seeing >100MB/s which is very nice.  Thanks!

I note form top that igb0 queue 0 is always "more busy" than any other
queue, there appears to be a second kernel igb0 "queue" process/thread
that appears to be moderately busy and 3 kernel igb0 "queue"
processes/threads that appear to be doing nothing in particular.

There are not causing issues ... I'm just curious if this is meaningful
to anyone or indicative of interesting things.

Sean