Adding Flow Director sysctls to ixgbe(4)

K. Macy kmacy at freebsd.org
Thu Sep 8 16:28:24 UTC 2011

> Whatever the mechanism is, the interface should allow for:
>
> - Flexible matching on layer 2, 3 and 4 header fields
> - Masking out some bits before matching (e.g. ignoring priority bits of
>  VLAN tag or least significant bits of IPv4 address)
> - Priority of rules in case several match a single flow.  This may
>  need to be combined with location, since in a TCAM location may
>  determine priority.
> - Requesting packets to be dropped, steered to a single RX queue, or
>  steered to a range of RX queues (using a flow hash and indirection
>  table)
> - Use of multiple hash indirection tables

Do you feel that the Linux API for this is the right place to start
looking?  Earlier you said: "The exact capabilities of the hardware
are all quite
different and we're still recovering from the early mistake of
defining two subtly different interfaces." Have the two APIs been
unified, if not which one do you believe is the "right" one?

Cheers