[Solved] Re:Commands for AR5212 cause system to hang using 8.2-STABLE

Fri Sep 2 03:45:01 UTC 2011

On 08/31/2011 10:08 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I didn't think wlan_xauth was deprecated; it should be installed in
> /boot/kernel/  .
>

> Adrian
 From the freenode #freebsd channel, I discovered just what you have
indicated, and was in the process of correcting a bad kernel install.

After installing the kernel again, all required dependencies for hostapd
have been restored, and it will start, and run.

However, the new issue is that my wlan0 device will be setup with all
the device settings of hostap AP mode, except for the ip address.

The device becomes active, and registers as an access point having the
desired ssid, however, no IP address is ever issues during the rc.conf
setup process.

Example:
(with hostapd activated on boot)
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         ether 00:1b:2f:37:02:46
         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
         status: running
         ssid wireless2 channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g) bssid 00:1b:2f:37:02:46
         country US ecm authmode WPA privacy MIXED deftxkey 2
         AES-CCM 2:128-bit AES-CCM 3:128-bit txpower 23 scanvalid 60
         protmode CTS wme burst dtimperiod 1 -dfs

(without hostapd activated on boot)
wlan0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         ether 00:1b:2f:37:02:46
         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
         status: running
         ssid wrouter0 channel 1 (2412 MHz 11g) bssid 00:1b:2f:37:02:46
         country US ecm authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 23 scanvalid 60
         protmode CTS wme burst dtimperiod 1 -dfs

rc.conf section for this device is as follows:

wlans_ath0="wlan0"
create_args_wlan0="wlanmode hostap"
ifconfig_wlan0="inet 192.168.200.1 netmask 255.255.0.0 ssid "wrouter0"
mode 54g channel 1"

However, all works perfectly, if I simply assign the intended ip address
to the wlan0 device.

Any input on this?

--
Respectfully,