bce(4) with IPMI

David Christensen davidch at broadcom.com
Tue Oct 11 00:48:59 UTC 2011

> > I attempted to disable IPMI via the Dell BIOS tool (DRAC) and I
> couldn't
> > see any driver detection of this status.  So, when I add this:
> >
> > >       if ((ifp->if_flags & IFF_UP) == 0 &&
> > >            (sc->bce_flags & BCE_MFW_PRESENT_FLAG) == 0){
> > >               printf("%s: BCE detected MFW not present\n",
> __func__);
> >

> > I don't see any change in behavior with IPMI enabled or disabled via
> the
> > Dell "DRAC" ROM Menu.
> >

> I thought you may have seen "MFW(NOT RUNNING)" if management
> firmware is present and you disabled IPMI in device attach time.
> You may have to enable bootverbose to see it.
> If management firmware is present and running you may have seen
> actual management firmware version string.

The Broadcom MFW is configured to load/not load through an NVRAM
option that is likely not affected by the iDRAC BIOS settings.
To disable MFW you'd need to run the user diagnostic utility
(UXDIAG.EXE) with the following command line:

C:\>uxdiag -mfw 0

To turn it back on run the following:

C:\>uxdiag -mfw 1

You can find a bootable CD with the user diagnostic here:
http://www.broadcom.com/support/license.php?file=NXII/Xdiag-5.2.2.iso

Dave