bce(4) with IPMI

Sean Bruno seanbru at yahoo-inc.com
Mon Oct 10 20:35:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 12:06 -0700, YongHyeon PYUN wrote:
> Did you capture this message generated after disabling IPMI/DRAC in
> BIOS? I thought you had to use Broadcom's separate program to
> disable management firmware.
>
> Does the last patch solve the problem?
> It's still not clear to me. The last patch allows accessing PHY
> status when there is a management firmware regardless of its
> running state.

The latest patchset you sent me does indeed allow IPMI to function.  So,
awesome!

I attempted to disable IPMI via the Dell BIOS tool (DRAC) and I couldn't
see any driver detection of this status.  So, when I add this:

>       if ((ifp->if_flags & IFF_UP) == 0 &&
>            (sc->bce_flags & BCE_MFW_PRESENT_FLAG) == 0){
>               printf("%s: BCE detected MFW not present\n", __func__);

I don't see any change in behavior with IPMI enabled or disabled via the
Dell "DRAC" ROM Menu.

Sean