choosing distribution: FreeBSD

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 20:14:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 7:13 AM, LinuxIsOne <linuxisone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Well, I am basically a Windows convert, but very frankly saying that: I am
> new to the world of Linux. So I should use FreeBSD or something easier
> distribution in the Linux...? Or it is perfectly okay for a newbie to go
> with FreeBSD?

There are no easy answers to this. I started as a newbie on FreeBSD
and have been using it at home and at work for over a decade and a
half, but I was already a computer professional with fairly broad
experience with a number of operating systems from before Windows even
was a glimmer in Bill's eye. So I am not really a "typical" user.
Neither are you.

Over the years FreeBSD has become a server platform. That does not
preclude using it as a desktop, but it means drivers for new hardware
are slower to become available and support for less popular things may
never show up.

I would not recommend FreeBSD for laptops unless you are very willing
to spend a lot of time getting things to work right. I also would not
recommend it for anyone lacking a reasonably broad computer
background. I mean that those who have only used Windows or MacOS and
really have no other computer expertise.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com